Wednesday 3 September 2014

"MEN OF MYSTERY" Burning At Baiame Cave - Part One Post Two

Drawn in November last year, these opening panels of “Burning At Baiame Cave” actually took far longer than normal to ‘get right’ despite depicting a straightforward ‘talky’ scene. The main problem was I initially drew the excavation’s moneyman, later revealed to be called Langloh, with a rather large moustache. Having completed these panels I then realised that not only did the character’s facial hair clash with the goatee of Doctor Horton, but that Langloh simply looked plain silly. As a result I redesigned him and then had to replace my earlier drawings of him in the previous seven panels. 

In addition the first few frames actually use some photographs of the Baiame Cave site in Australia as the background. When the expedition move into the lost cave however, I placed my drawings up against a picture of a crystal cave, in order to try and give the location a more unique appearance and tie-in better with the idea of it being the hidden location of a large gemstone.
In the next four panels to be posted Doctor Horton will face the Sky Father himself, and only one will walk away from the encounter unharmed…

4 comments:

  1. Hi Simon, yes I'm actually following your Blog (and Fantorical) I got my wife to sit with me while I registered with Google turns out I already had an account but didn't know the password (Duh!), I did that yesterday but then forgot I could make comments (double Duh!!). Anyway a really good start and I can't wait to see the "Sky Father", best of luck.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, absolutely delighted to have you on board. Early days yet but hopefully once I build up a bit of a catalogue on the blog they'll be more interest, "Men Of Mystery" is my favourite strip over the past few years so there's a few more stories in the pipeline. However I was considering putting up stories from a range of my strips as opposed to one long run of something. Can't decide yet. I'd also like to post up how I draw my cartoons, and scan in some original drawings to show how they look to begin with. Time will tell I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! thry're coming thick and fast now, each time I look you've got another strip up. I love to see some of your older strips and original artwork along with how you do them, I used to do some black and white single panel cartoons (had a few in "Ragnarok" the SFSFW journal a few years back) but nothing compared to your body of work. Keep it up, and I'll try to keep up with it!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger, many thanks indeed. I do plan to post up a start-finish process at some point ('From Script to Screen') as well as my earlier stories etc. Indeed I've pulled out the last twenty volumes I've done and been looking at which stories I think people would enjoy. There's eighty from that lot just to start with and they're just the tip of the iceberg :-)

    ReplyDelete